Motorcycle Accident Law Firm Advocating for Riders’ Rights in Virginia
Providing reliable counsel to motorcyclists in McLean, VA
Motorcyclists face substantially more perils than drivers of passenger cars. Potholes and damaged pavement, while annoying to car and truck drivers, can be fatal to motorcycle riders. Other road conditions, such as ice and snow, can pose serious hazards for even the most experienced motorcyclists. Located in Tysons Corner near McLean, Virginia, The Leiser Law Firm provides motorcycle accident victims with experienced guidance. We understand both the joys and perils of riding, and if you suffer an injury in a motorcycle accident, our lawyers fight to help you obtain compensation.
Motorcycle laws and regulations
Unfortunately, not all riders are aware of the unique laws governing the use of motorcycles in Virginia. In fact, you may be able to avoid an accident altogether or, at the very least, reduce the severity of your injuries by obeying the state’s following motorcycle laws:
- Eye protection — You are required by law to wear protective eye gear unless your motorcycle is equipped with a windscreen.
- Helmet speakers — Riders are allowed to use helmet speakers, but only for the purpose of communication.
- Lane splitting — Driving between other vehicles in traffic is illegal in the state of Virginia.
- Two abreast in lane — You may ride alongside another motorcyclist in the same lane.
- Helmet law — All motorcycle operators and passengers must wear a protective helmet while riding.
- Lemon law — Virginia’s lemon law holds vehicle manufacturers responsible for defective or malfunctioning vehicles. Most new motorcycles qualify if they are under four years old and have documented issues during the first 18 months after the date of the original delivery to the consumer.
Statistics on motorcycle accidents in Virginia
Our lawyers at The Leiser Law Firm help clients who suffer head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, back injuries and other serious conditions in all types of auto accidents. For more than 15 years, we have fought for the rights of motorcycle, truck, and car accident victims. While motorcycles can be practical and fun, they can also be dangerous. Consider the following statistics about motorcycle accidents in Virginia for the year 2012:
- There were 189,383 registered motorcycles.
- There were 2,416 crashes.
- Injuries were suffered by 2,149 people.
- There were 78 motorcycle occupants killed.
- Of those killed, 31 were between the ages of 36 and 50.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents
Many accidents are simply the result of driver error or driver inexperience. If you speed, tailgate, or ride while drunk, you endanger your life and the lives of everyone on the road. Motorcycle accidents are also frequently caused by other drivers who are distracted, intoxicated, or driving recklessly. An accident may also be caused by a defective tire, fuel tank, or other vehicle component.
Choose a Northern VA accident law firm that fights relentlessly for you
If you sustain injury while riding in Virginia, The Leiser Law Firm is ready to take your case. Call 703-734-5000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with one of our experienced lawyers. For all personal injury matters, we operate on a contingency fee basis, so you pay us nothing unless you receive compensation.