Virginia Attorneys Assist Clients with Child Support Disputes
Representing clients in Washington, D.C., Fairfax County, and all of NoVA
At The Leiser Law Firm, PLLC, we believe in providing you with quality legal service at an affordable rate. Our lawyers routinely handle both complex and simple child support cases. Whether you need assistance litigating a child support dispute, enforcing a child support order or modifying your current child support payments, we provide you with competent, accessible guidance.
What is child support?
Child support is money paid by the noncustodial parent to the custodial parent. By law, you and the other parent remain responsible for the care and support of your child until the child is at least 18 years old, regardless of whether you are married, single or divorced. If your child is still in school past the age of 18 or is mentally disabled, support payments may last longer. The amount of child support the noncustodial parent must pay is based on several factors, including the combined income of both parents and the number of children. Keep in mind that “income” refers to more than just your monthly paycheck — bonuses, dividends, severance pay and pensions are all considered part of your income.
How can child support be enforced?
Violating a child support order is a serious matter. Many people fail to realize that child support is court-ordered and, therefore, failing or refusing to pay child support is illegal. If your spouse is not paying child support, our family law attorneys in Northern Virginia are ready to investigate your case. Depending on the circumstances, your spouse could face the following penalties:
- Wage garnishment — By law, employers are required to deduct the child support obligation amounts plus an additional amount to reduce arrears (if any).
- Income taxes interception — The nonpaying parent’s income tax refund may be intercepted to pay child support.
- Lottery winning interception — The state may also intercept lottery winnings to pay off a noncustodial parent’s child support debt.
- Driving privilege suspension — The Virginia State Department of Motor Vehicles can be directed to suspend driving privileges.
- Credit bureau reporting — The child support debt may be reported to credit reporting agencies.
- Jail — Refusing or failing to comply with court-ordered child support can land the noncustodial parent in jail.
Child support modifications
If you wish to alter your child support payments, you must file a petition with the court. For your request to be granted, you must show the court that there has been a serious change in your circumstances. For example, if you suddenly lost your job, the court may agree to lower your monthly child support payments. However, any modification of the child support amount is only retroactive back to the date the other parent has legal notice of your request for a change.
NoVa child support lawyers who guide you every step of the way
The Leiser Law Firm, PLLC, is devoted to protecting your rights in Virginia and Washington, D.C. If you need professional help with a child support matter, contact us online or call 703-734-5000 to find out if you qualify for a free consultation with one of our skilled attorneys.