Divorce Attorneys Handling Annulments in Northern Virginia
Responsive family law care from an experienced legal team
We at The Leiser Law Firm, PLLC proudly assist clients with various family law matters. With more than 10 years of experience practicing family law, we offer you trusted divorce counsel. Our lawyers thoroughly understand the requirements that must be met if you wish to get an annulment in Virginia. We quickly assess your case and determine if an annulment is right for your situation, and provide you with competent guidance and advice on what step you should take next.
What is an annulment?
Divorce acknowledges a marriage before dissolving it. Annulment erases your marriage altogether, making it null and void. A religious annulment is often required by the Roman Catholic Church for individuals who wish to remarry. Many annulments are sought shortly after couples have been married. Nevertheless, duration of marriage does not necessarily determine whether an annulment is granted.
In the commonwealth of Virginia, a civil annulment may be sought in the following cases:
- Marriage between same-sex partners
- Marriage that occurs while one spouse is still legally married to another person
- Incestuous marriage, including marriage between parent and child, grandparent and grandchild, sister and brother, aunt and nephew, or uncle and niece
- Underage marriage — the age of consent in Virginia is 16 and parental consent is required for children under 18
- Lack of mental or physical capacity at the time of marriage
- Marriage to a felon if the other person did not know at the time of marriage
- If one person had been, without the knowledge of the other, a prostitute
- If a spouse is with child by another person other than the husband at the time of marriage
- Sham marriages — so called "green card" marriages
- Marriage entered into with intention that it should not be binding, such as mock or trial marriage
If your marriage is annulled, it is as if it never existed. However, issues regarding child custody and property division must still be resolved by the court. Our family law practice has experience handling annulment cases throughout Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. We help you file the necessary paperwork in a timely fashion and fight for your rights if your request for an annulment is contested.
Choose a compassionate team of divorce lawyers in Northern VA
We at The Leiser Law Firm, PLLC provide reliable advice on annulments in Virginia and Washington, D.C. If you need help filing for an annulment or would like to schedule a consultation to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys, call 703.734.5000 or contact us online.